Skip to main content

Malta.

For my second week of holidays, I went to stay five days in Malta to meet a whole bunch of my family :) I stayed with my lovely second cousin, and tour-guide, Claire, and her mum and dad, in Lija.

By this stage, I'd bought a new camera whilst having a quick stop over with some friends in London, so I had a brand shiny new toy to play with and take lots of photos with!

Malta was amazing. The buildings were gorgeous - all limestone - and all of the roads were tiny and winding. There are heaps of churches in Malta. I'm not even kidding when I say that I reckon there's one on nearly every second street. And they're all huge, and gorgeous.


Claire took me to the popular tourist destination - Valetta. A gorgeous city with plenty of cute tourist shops and awesome ice-cream :) We spent the day taking photos, wandering through some gardens with some stunning views and admiring a lovely exhibition of the artist, Mucha.




And so, the whole reason for my trip, I spent a lot of time meeting relatives of mine! I got to meet my Nanna's brother, Mum's cousins and lots of my second cousins :)

Claire's mum is an AMAZING cook. Pretty sure she overheard Claire and I discussing how much we love chocolate eclairs, so she whipped these up sneakily whilst we were out, and lucky I got a photo when we did (half way through.... :P) because they didn't last very long at all!!!! Yummm yumm!


For another one of our day trips, Claire took me to Mdina, Malta's walled ancient city. There are lots of winding little lanes that you can't see the ends of, and apparently this is so that anyone that tried to invade the city would get lost, pretty clever!


You might have noticed in my earlier photo of a church, that it has two clocks on it. In fact, one of these clocks is fake and is used to 'confuse the devil' if he ever decides to come and ambush the church or something similar... Hopefully he'll get so disoriented and baffled about the two different times that he'll just go back on home... :D

Claire's awesome piano! :D
 On the Friday night of my visit, Claire, Manuel (another of my second cousins) and myself had a night out on town in a place called Paceville! We had a maddd night, got plenty of drinks bought for us and just spent the whole night dancing :) An awesome end to my trip!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Norway Part One - Oslo

So since I've last written on here, I've managed to get myself a job straight out of uni and I'm already at the point in my career where a three and a half week holiday is well deserved. I've been at my job for a whole year as of June 30th! It's crazy how fast time starts to fly as your work and life routine just gets going. Tom and I have started our first trip back to England in nearly three years with a five day trip to Norway with his parents. To be entirely honest, I was a bit lazy and did very little research about Norway, except enough to figure out that we were doing a Norway In A Nutshell tour. We got to Oslo and I had low expectations - I think I expected it to be a pretty city but kind of boring. I think I thought something similar of Norway as a whole. I knew nothing much about the country except that I was there at the wrong time of the year for the Northern Lights and that it was renown for being particularly expensive. Boy, was I wrong about th

Running, university and the future...

I thought I'd write a short blog post while waiting for some rice to cook. I haven't put my thoughts down in writing for a little while so perhaps this sort of therapy will work its magic on me. [ Image Source ] First things first, I've signed up for my very first half marathon. It's with the Melbourne Marathon , and is about twelve weeks away. I'm absolutely terrified. I've never made this kind of commitment... and it is a really really long way! It's further than the distance that I travel on my bike in a day, commuting to uni, and that in itself takes about an hour. I'm already worried that my legs are going to stop working halfway through. So I've been reading a lot of articles, and searching Pinterest relentlessly for half marathon training guides. I think I'll use my Nike+ running app as a guide too. If anybody has any tips, please share them with me! I reckon I'll finish it comfortably in about two and a half hours.

Melbourne International Film Festival

The Melbourne International Film Festival (MIFF) runs from the 31st of July to the 17th of August this year. I've decided to do a subject at uni that is centred aroundthe festival and this means I'll be going to six documentaries and two industry talks as required by the course, and four films of my choice! This is one major plus about choosing to go to Melbourne Uni.. I'm almost finished my maths degree, yet all through my tertiary education, I've been required to do a subject a semester outside of my faculty, and it's been great to immerse myself into arts subjects (namely music and film) that I wouldn't have studied otherwise. I'm really glad that I chose the documentary stream, as I really think I'll get a lot more out of it than a fiction stream. I'm not a huge film kind of girl, and it's not unusual for me to be gasped at with an 'oh my god, how have you not seen [insert film here]?!' I don't really have an excuse, I have