Skip to main content

Running, university and the future...

I thought I'd write a short blog post while waiting for some rice to cook. I haven't put my thoughts down in writing for a little while so perhaps this sort of therapy will work its magic on me.


First things first, I've signed up for my very first half marathon. It's with the Melbourne Marathon, and is about twelve weeks away. I'm absolutely terrified. I've never made this kind of commitment... and it is a really really long way! It's further than the distance that I travel on my bike in a day, commuting to uni, and that in itself takes about an hour. I'm already worried that my legs are going to stop working halfway through.

So I've been reading a lot of articles, and searching Pinterest relentlessly for half marathon training guides. I think I'll use my Nike+ running app as a guide too. If anybody has any tips, please share them with me!

I reckon I'll finish it comfortably in about two and a half hours. I know this is a fairly slow speed, but I'm a pretty cruise-y runner to begin with anyway. Pace is important for short distances for me, but I'm a fairly new long distance runner so merely getting through the km is more important to me!

I'll post updates on how I go as my training progresses!


I have three days left of my winter holidays for university and I couldn't possibly be feeling any more lost. I have a year left of my maths degree, or only eight subjects depending on how you want to look at it. The fact that I have to pass every single one of those subjects between then and now, or risk extending the length of my course absolutely terrifies me.

I don't feel like I've fallen in love with uni the way that people say you will. Sure, I've made lots of amazing friends that I wouldn't have met outside of uni, but the stress and amount of pressure that comes with it isn't enjoyable. Maybe it's the course I'm doing, maybe it's the amount of involvement I have in extracurricular activities or maybe it is just me.

I know that it'll be worth it, but crying myself silly over marks that I'm unhappy with is a little bit ridiculous.

I think my lack of direction has a lot to do with it. I started out doing engineering and my degree has taken a different path, so now I have no idea what use my degree will have, if any, apart from looking pretty on my resume. There are so many career options but absolutely none of them scream out at me going "Jessie! You'll enjoy this for the rest of your life!"

Maybe that's where my problem lies, I know that nothing is permanent but I am putting so much pressure on myself to make 'the right choice'...

All I know for certain in life is that I want enough money to travel the world and be happy.
A little bit of perspective... That's all I really need.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Norway Part One - Oslo

So since I've last written on here, I've managed to get myself a job straight out of uni and I'm already at the point in my career where a three and a half week holiday is well deserved. I've been at my job for a whole year as of June 30th! It's crazy how fast time starts to fly as your work and life routine just gets going. Tom and I have started our first trip back to England in nearly three years with a five day trip to Norway with his parents. To be entirely honest, I was a bit lazy and did very little research about Norway, except enough to figure out that we were doing a Norway In A Nutshell tour. We got to Oslo and I had low expectations - I think I expected it to be a pretty city but kind of boring. I think I thought something similar of Norway as a whole. I knew nothing much about the country except that I was there at the wrong time of the year for the Northern Lights and that it was renown for being particularly expensive. Boy, was I wrong about th

Recipe: Homemade Beef Burgers

Last night for dinner, we had burgers. Burgers are an awesome, cheap and easy meal. It uses loads of pantry staples so if you have lots of sauces and spices, you won't end up having to buy very much! This recipe is to make about 8 or 9 large burgers. You can make these a few hours ahead of time and you can freeze any uncooked leftovers for next time! Jessie's Easy Burger Recipe Serves 4. Prep time: 10 minutes (with 20-30 minutes time in the fridge). Cooking time: ~8 minutes. Utensils you need: a teaspoon a grater a large plastic or glass mixing bowl a large frypan a spatula a large plate cling film/glad wrap Ingredients: 500g of 3-star beef mince mince 1 large brown onion grated (unless you like chunks of onion, then diced) 1 large egg 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs Seasonings of your choice (I used the following but you can put in whatever you want) - Tomato sauce - BBQ sauce - Worcestershire Sauce Dried herbs : ros