Skip to main content

Life direction.. Or lack of!

I'm in a funny mood right now, where my brain feels kind of 'fuzzy' and a little bit lost and I don't know why. It is a strange feeling but not a feeling I can quite put my finger on. I feel like writing a blog post as I'm hoping it'll help me sort my thoughts out a little bit. I realise I had a bit of a 'thinking and lost' post a little while ago, but hey, it worked for a little while! No pictures today, just a rambly one.. So fingers crossed, here goes!

I have spent a lot of today thinking about the future, in particular my career path, and the more I think about it, the more muddled I get. I'm quickly approaching the end of my degree yet I'm no closer to approaching knowing exactly what I want to do... I have no answer to the question 'So what are you going to do when you finish?' Absolutely none. I don't know.

Is winging it okay?

I was never a kid who knew exactly what I wanted to do. For a long time I remember wanting to be a princess mermaid, probably as a result of watching The Little Mermaid but as a grew older I realised that that isn't really an ideal career path for myself.

Over the years of high school in particular I swapped my career of choice on a somewhat regular basis. I remember deciding that I wanted to be a physiotherapist, an obstetrician/gynaecologist, a neonatal surgeon (I had been on a Grey's Anatomy binge, okay?!), an architect, an interior designer/decorator, a professional dancer, a civil engineer... the list goes on. While I find all of those things interesting, I feel like none of them are my passion.

I love singing, and I love performing but I have never had any desire to make that my career. To me it is a very enjoyable hobby, and something I'd like to do my very best to prevent becoming a chore. It is refreshing to be able to sit down at my keyboard or pick up my guitar and get lost in music again when I am stressed, even when they have had a few months of neglect.

So right now I am plugging away at my maths degree and hoping that an epiphany will smack me in the face (nicely!) somewhere along the way.

Does anybody really know what they want to do at 21?

Not me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Norway Part One - Oslo

So since I've last written on here, I've managed to get myself a job straight out of uni and I'm already at the point in my career where a three and a half week holiday is well deserved. I've been at my job for a whole year as of June 30th! It's crazy how fast time starts to fly as your work and life routine just gets going. Tom and I have started our first trip back to England in nearly three years with a five day trip to Norway with his parents. To be entirely honest, I was a bit lazy and did very little research about Norway, except enough to figure out that we were doing a Norway In A Nutshell tour. We got to Oslo and I had low expectations - I think I expected it to be a pretty city but kind of boring. I think I thought something similar of Norway as a whole. I knew nothing much about the country except that I was there at the wrong time of the year for the Northern Lights and that it was renown for being particularly expensive. Boy, was I wrong about th

Running, university and the future...

I thought I'd write a short blog post while waiting for some rice to cook. I haven't put my thoughts down in writing for a little while so perhaps this sort of therapy will work its magic on me. [ Image Source ] First things first, I've signed up for my very first half marathon. It's with the Melbourne Marathon , and is about twelve weeks away. I'm absolutely terrified. I've never made this kind of commitment... and it is a really really long way! It's further than the distance that I travel on my bike in a day, commuting to uni, and that in itself takes about an hour. I'm already worried that my legs are going to stop working halfway through. So I've been reading a lot of articles, and searching Pinterest relentlessly for half marathon training guides. I think I'll use my Nike+ running app as a guide too. If anybody has any tips, please share them with me! I reckon I'll finish it comfortably in about two and a half hours.